My photo
About Me & Chips: A Haiku. I live to have the/ Chips with crunchy salt goodness/ I'll never eat less

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Burn Your Face Off Doritos

There are so many great Doritos ideas floating around the chip-o-sphere from reclaimed vintage packaging to Taco Bell Doritos shells.

While ingenuity is aplenty, the only real problem between me and Doritos is availability.  Specifically, Canadian availability.

So, when I actually saw the Doritos 1st Degree, Blazin' Jalapeno and  2nd Degree Fiery Buffalo Burn at the store near my house, a flavour I assumed was only to grace other Doritos-rich countries, I pounced. 


First off, I should qualify my tolerance for spicy foods--I like them.  I always get hot wings, I get spicy rotis hot enough to make anyone's nose run at my favourite Indian shop and always put extra horseradish and Tobasco in my caesars.

Starting out "mild" with the Blazin' Jalapeno I thought I would be underwhelmed.  Tame in colour and odour,  I wasn't really expecting a huge level of heat.  The burn didn't register upon first bite, but slowly began to build... and build.  Minutes later, I found myself trying to quelch the temperatures with a glass of water.

Although pretty spicy, the jalapeno flavour comes to the forefront of these Doritos making the overall experience deliciously hot and still a bit cheesy.

Climbing the thermometer, Fiery Buffalo really gave me something to work on.  These chips are HOT.  Coated in a red-orange seasoning that screams "spicy spicy" you should have a glass of milk nearby when you are attempting to extinguish a bag of these.

It honestly took me the entire day to get through a small bag because I could only handle one chip at a time and ended up coughing after every bite and chasing it with a drink.

I found the Buffalo chips had an overpowering vinegar aftershock that really took my breath away and held me back from being able to slam the bag.  Not really a good characteristic for someone who typically puts away a full-sized bag with much delight.


Given the temperature of these chips, I probably wouldn't crave them on a regular basis, but I think they would make a perfect addition to any good Chip Salad. 

To answer the obvious burning question, yes there is a 3rd Degree but I haven't found it.  After my experience with these two, I'm not sure if I could take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment