My photo
About Me & Chips: A Haiku. I live to have the/ Chips with crunchy salt goodness/ I'll never eat less

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hot & Spicy Octopus Ride

In light of recent 2011 resolutions, I stopped by my local Korean grocery store P.A.T to seek out some new product. 

From seaweed flavoured chips to wasabe-spiked shrimp puffs, it was hard to leave with just 2 new bags.  After some incisive interpreting I settled on TAKO Octopus Flavoured Chips by Nong Shim (product of Korea) and Hot & Spicy chips by Calbee (product of Hong Kong). 



I had a glass of root beer nearby when I started out with the Hot & Spicy.  It was only the idea of the little mayor potato mascot on the bag that gave me hope for a slightly less spicy future with these chips.  

When I opened the bag it looked as though I'd just uncovered a stream of active lava, but much to my amazement and disappointment,  Hot & Spicy did not live up to its name.  At first I tried to rationalize this setback as a case of mistranslation, but after a few handfuls I realized that despite their fiery facade, Hot & Spicy were nothing more than Beige & Plasticy. 

The TAKO Octopus flavoured chips on the other hand, were about to fully vindicate my expectations of non North American chip selections.


The first point is awarded to TAKO for the best packaging ever.  Cute pink cartoon octopus with snorkel gear.  You don't need to be a fisherman to know that this is a good catch.

These little octopus-shaped puffs crackled and melted in my mouth like a pork rind.  The "octopus" flavouring was sweet and fishy, similar to a shrimp chip but more well-seasoned.  If you are already a fan of shrimp chips, then these octopus bites should be acknowledged as a sea-worthy surrogate.

Side Note: Tartar sauce = best octopus flavoured chip dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment