My photo
About Me & Chips: A Haiku. I live to have the/ Chips with crunchy salt goodness/ I'll never eat less

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Envirochips

In keeping with this mornings news, I thought I'd weigh in on the great compostable Sun Chip bag debate. Basically, Sun Chips are now being made in 100% compostable bags.  Sounds good?  Actually, it seems the sound may in fact be the downfall of this eco-chip innovation. 


I almost picked up a bag of Sun Chips last week.  It was a flavour I hadn't seen before, think it was "aged white cheddar" or something.  When I went to grab the bag, the noise was actually a turn off and I abandoned the initially appealing old cheesy chips for some classic tasting (and sounding) Sour Cream & Onion. 

Truth: I did feel instantly guilty for ditching the Sun Chips based on sound factor alone.  I have always imagined myself to be a leftist chip consumer, but here I was opting for the quiet, conservative chip that would silently sit in the landfill when I was done snacking. 

With vegetarian, local organic and 100 mile diets on trend, it seems that an eco-friendly Sun Chip should be an instant hit.  What's the real problem here?

Although I buy chips on the regular (understatement), I do not always feel comfortable wearing my chips on my sleeve.  Safe to say, the alarm that sounds when you grab for the new Sun Chips can be an over-share.  I am the first to profess my love for chips, it's just not always something I announce at the store amidst new-age yoga couples shopping for organic quinoa burgers. 

Everyone should help out the environment whenever possible and a compostable chip bag would cut out a huge portion of my daily waste.  But, Sun Chips are already the healthy, bran cereal of chips, do they really need to be compostable too? 

Maybe the best part about eating chips is knowing how unhealthy and delicious they are.  Maybe it makes me feel sorry for myself to compost a bag while I know that I am pounding saturated fats into my body. Maybe chips are so intrinsically good that there is no way to make them better so we should all just eat lots and lots of chips and not worry about inventing new chip ideas that mess up our delicious long-standing beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment